Monday, March 16, 2015

Synecdoche/Metonymy and Apostrophe Assignments

Synecdoche/Metonymy
My entire golfing career rests on this putt. A short putt, but an important putt, with a win at the Masters if I go on to make it. I look at the hole one more time before I stare back at the ball. Just like you have done twenty-five other times today, I think as I'm about to pull the trigger. Slowly, the square head starts back away from the ball, staying fairly square to the hole, with a little counterclockwise rotation.  It stops near the rear of my left shoe, then starts forward again. The head turns back clockwise and smashes into the ball, and the Taylormade starts rolling straight towards the hole. Rolling steady, tracking towards the cup, and finally... PLOP! I won.
Apostrophe
Everything started with you, Grandma. A lot of pictures I've seen of you are you with a club in your hand. Almost every story I've heard about you involves you on a golf course. You played a lot, even into your old age. I can still picture you now playing in your new home. With all of the people who play in the family, I feel like you started it all. So, I say to you, Grandma, thank you, because without your passion, I might not have mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment